Thursday, November 14, 2013

Self Image through a Child's Eyes


 This morning Caiden and I were in the bathroom brushing our teeth and washing our face when he brought up a touchy subject for me. He said, “Mommy you have a lot of bumps on your face.” I have always had trouble with acne and no matter how old you get it still bothers you. We are taught early on that image is a very important aspect of life. We have to look nice, dress nice, act nice, talk nice just to be accepted by others. I have dealt with my fair share of bullies both children and adults, so there is a reason for my insecurities. I can deal with my insecurities a lot better now than I did when I was younger. Rick tells me every day I am beautiful. I know I am beautiful because God created me and he makes no mistakes in his creations; however, our human insecurities sometimes cloud our judgments. Anyway this morning, I told Caiden, “I know mommy has a ton of bumps and it makes me look ugly.” He replied, “Not to me.” Those 3 little words put me on cloud nine. He sees me as a beautiful mommy and no acne scar or bump can take that away from me. He is just like his dad. They are blind to the obvious signs that others and myself see as imperfections. All they see is the true me and I need to be reminded of that. He made me smile so big today just by making me see how beautiful I am by saying 3 little words. He is a sweetheart and I hope that society never changes him. Caiden thank you for loving mommy so much. You are my Bubby and I will always love you.