Friday, January 2, 2015

Hello....


Hello….

This was the first thing we said to each other. I finally found my dad and saw him for the first time in over 20 years yesterday (1/1/15). It was an exciting time to get to see him and introduce him to Rick and the boys. You may be asking yourself, why has it been 20 years?  It’s a long story but here it is.

My mom was a addicted to drugs since I can remember. I had 2 sisters and my grandmother that lived with us and pretty much took care of us because mom (most of the time) was not in any shape to care for us. Things got worse as time went on. My aunt talked my mom into moving to Georgia with my sisters to try and get her off the drugs. My grandmother and I stayed behind. A little while later my grandmother and I followed. This happened when I was around 6 or 7. I am now 28. My dad had not seen me since then. He did not know what had happened but knew it probably had something to do with my mom using drugs. My dad tried to get information but the system would not help him because a father will have to fight through the legal system to gain rights to their children. He didn’t know where to begin to find me.

I grew up had 2 boys and married my best friend. I always knew my dad’s name and my mom had told me that he was a police officer and worked as a security officer. I knew this was a starting point. So back in 2008 I tried to search the internet. Have you ever typed someone’s name into GOOGLE? If you haven’t you will be amazed. There were so many men with his same name. I didn’t want to sit and write 50 different men and ask “Are you my father?” So it got put on the back burner. As time went on I talked to several friends who gave me ideas on how to find him. I would try something here and there but nothing ever panned out until December 9th, 2014.

Something told me to type in the search bar on GOOGLE “How to find you father.” I did and a post told me exactly what to type into GOOGLE to find someone. I found an article that had my dad’s name in it as a security guard for a hospital in the area I used to live. I knew it had to be him. After several talks with friends and family I made the call to the hospital and on Friday, December, 12th I talked to my dad for the first time in 20 years. I was shaking like a leaf on tree. We have been texting ever since and yesterday was bitter sweet when we came face to face.

He fit right in with our family and even though it was like we were meeting for the first time it felt as though we had never been apart. He is great and keeps praising us for what we have done. He tells me that I gave him a gift because I gave him peace he knows now that I am fine. But he gave me a gift too. He gave this little girl a daddy.